A very simple creamy soup that will satisfy your soup cravings plus get some vegetables into your diet.
Homemade soup from scratch helps control the nutritional content and it can be quicker and easier than you realize!
Time: 25 minutes
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped (approx 1 cup)
4 large vine ripe tomatoes, dices (approx 4 cups)
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 TBSP chopped fresh tarragon (may substitute with basil)
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– Heat oil over medium in a medium sauce pan.
– Add chopped onion and sautÃ© until softened.
– Add tomatoes and water, bring to boil.
– Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
– Transfer soup to a food processor or blender (taking care blending with hot liquids) and puree until smooth.
– Using a strainer over the saucepan, pour the puree through the strainer.
– Discard the seeds and skin.
Whisk the sour cream and tarragon into the soup. Stir over low heat until soup is hot, but not boiling. Season with salt & pepper.
Nutritional information, per serving:
108 calories; 40 calories from fat; 4 g fat (1 g saturated; 0 g trans fat); 7 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 176 mg sodium.
Credits: Recipe and information from Dayton Daily News, Life section, Monday May 12, 2008, by Jim Romanoff