Why buy caramel sauce in a jar when you can make your own so easily at home? I mean, homemade caramel sauce… ooooh my!
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. water
1 1/4 c. heavy cream (an extra 1/4 c. to serve at room temp)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Mix the water and sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Uncover. Increase the heat to boil until the sugar turns a medium brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
4. Watch it carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly.
5. Carefully and gradually, add the cream and vanilla extract.
6. Simmer until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
7. Serve warm, or add another 1/4 cup of heavy cream and serve room temperature.
– Serve over ice cream.
– Serve over cake AND ice cream.
– For a coffee-caramel flavor, add 1 TBSP instant espresso or coffee powder to the water.
– Drizzle over homemade whipped cream topped specialty coffees (like a frappuccino or a caramel cooler – homemade, of course!).